Monday 16 January 2012

~*Magical*~


Snow is pretty magical, isn’t it? When I was little and it snowed I can still remember that my dad would stand in front of the window for so long just watching it come down. My mom said it was because he grew up in Brazil and snow was just such a strange thing to him. Yet, despite having grown up seeing at least some snow, I find myself situated right next to the window so as not to miss any of the delicate snowflakes falling down. It has the same effect on me as an open flame or the waves of the ocean, hypnotic almost, I can’t quite bring myself to look away. But that’s not the only reason I think snow is magical.



Snow brings people together. No joke. A couple days ago it started snowing here in Langley and my roommate and I ended up just sitting in front of the window for hours watching it come down. And as the layer of snow grew more and more people started to come outside and jump around, make snow angels, have snowball fights, make snowmen and go for romantic walks together. On what otherwise would have been an average evening with everyone doing their own things inside the dorms, people went outside and came together.

Something about snow takes you back to a childlike state I think; the sounds of sheer joy coming from the people outside, the sense of adventure or that everything is new. Because nothing looks quite the same when it snows. I’m not surprised that only the season of winter has ever merited the term “wonderland”, because there is nothing that really compares to when the world is covered in the soft white blanket.



Now, I realize that for a lot of people snow is nothing more than a pain in the butt. It makes it hard to drive, it’s tough to walk in and it is pretty chilly. But for me; someone who doesn’t drive, who doesn’t mind a challenge whilst walking and enjoys bundling up for the cold, snow is great. It makes the world quiet and perfect. And the beauty of how pure it is reminds me that God can make us whiter than the snow (Psalm 51:7, Isaiah 1:18). That I, too, can be that pure.

So think what you will about snow, but I love it. And so I will sit here by my window, with my cup of hot chocolate and try to get some of my homework reading done… if I can keep my eyes from gazing out at the snow, that is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment