Saturday 24 March 2012

The Good Ol' Days


“Can it be that it was all so simple then?” –Barbara Streisand

I like the olden days. Not like the olden days of my own lifetime, but the really olden days. I love the different eras. Lately I’ve been watching a lot of Mad Men, a tv-show that takes place in the early 60s, and I love it. I love the clothes, the cars, the music. The way thing seemed simpler, although if Mad Men is anything to go by it wasn’t simple. I like older music, must to the dismay of my father who can’t stand it, the classics like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby…  

It’s funny to think that someday these will be the good old days, that people will look back on with fondness thinking that it was all so simple. Heck, it’s crazy to think that the 20s was almost a hundred years ago already, soon it’ll be the 20s again. People tend to look back on the past with a fondness. I certainly do. Even things that I didn’t enjoy at the time always seem so much more pleasant when I think back. I suppose that’s the way it goes.

As much as I love watching movies from earlier times and listening to their music and dreaming of wearing their clothes, I am happy to live now.

A few days ago I went to a lecture about marriage and how much it has improved in past decades and how lucky we are to live now when we get to choose whom we want to marry and we don’t have to stick to the housewife role. And I’m certain marriage is not the only thing that has improved; we know so much more about health and medicine, about equality (though there is still more to be done), we have computers, and even though they can be a pain in the butt I’ve got to say they are pretty helpful.

Yes, I suppose I will lovingly look back on this time someday, but for now I’ll just enjoy each day as it comes.

“He has made everything beautiful in its time” -Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment