Sunday 3 March 2013

Documentaries//Activism


Over the past few months I’ve been watching more and more documentaries. Voluntarily. When you’re a kid you can’t imagine anything more boring than watching a documentary, but lately I’ve found that they really draw me in. Almost too much so. They always stir up something in me.

The most recent documentary I saw was called ‘Sons of the Clouds; the last colony.’ It tells the story of the Sahrawis, a former colony of Spain that has been forcibly controlled by Morocco for the last 38 years. It was so hard to watch these poor people live in refugee camps out in the desert because the land that was their home was taken from them. And those that did still live in their homeland were tortured on a daily basis. I felt like someone had to do something. I felt like I had to do something.

This is the problem I have most of the time when I watch documentaries. It always hits me so hard that these are things that are actually happening in the world. Whether it’s related to human rights, the environment, animal cruelty, or anything else. This is happening in the world and I’m just sitting there on my couch watching it. I feel so utterly helpless and too small to make a change.

Now I don’t know if you ever feel that way too, but I just want to encourage you that there is always something you can do, even if it’s something small. After watching a documentary about where my food comes from I made a point to only buy free-range eggs and meat of which I know that the animal was treated well. It’s something small, but I think it’s making a change.

There are numerous ways to help in any aspect that might draw you. One example of a website that gives you some cool options is called sevenly.org. Every week they support a different charity, so you can choose to contribute on the weeks that you feel passionate about the cause. That’s just one way to make a change.

Just remember that no matter how small you may think your contribution is, it is making a difference. You can change the world you live in. It’s what we’re called to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment