Wednesday 24 April 2013

Good Riddance


Spring has come, and while for most people this might mean spring-cleaning, for college and university students it means moving. 

At the end of the spring semester we all pack up our belongings and move out of our dorms, either back home or to an apartment or to go travel the world. This process goes hand in hand with something that I have become quite fond of and think everyone should do at least once a year.

A purging.  (or cleansing if you prefer.)

At the end of every school year I riffle through all my cupboards and drawers and find mass amounts of papers, party favors, mementos, etc. that have somehow accumulated within the span of eight months. While some of these things are worth keeping for memory-sake, most end up going to recycling, good will, or the trash.  The thought that I somehow gathered all of this stuff within just a few short months is mind-boggling and I’m so happy that I have a chance at least once a year to get rid of it all.

I don’t know if this is just me, but sometimes I hate having any stuff at all. It’s just a bother. And most of the time it just sits there taking up space. I feel like it ties me down somehow, but that’s a story for a different time.

When I first came to North America I couldn’t believe that people not only had big houses full of stuff, but that they have extra storage containers full of MORE stuff! Why?! If you do not need it often enough to have it on hand, you don’t need it!
Maybe that is my father speaking through me, he used to have me and my sisters go through all our things every so often and get rid of the things we didn’t need. It stuck, and I’m glad.

I love my annual purge and will probably continue to do it even when I do not have to move in or out of some place annually. Just try it, you’ll feel so much better  :)

1 comment:

  1. Amen, amen, amen. Let ALL the people say amen to this.

    ReplyDelete