Thursday 2 June 2011

Children's tv

This summer I have found a job nannying several days a week, I'm really enjoying it and the kids are a lot of fun. Today the kids were watching a video and it got me thinking about just how far children's TV has come in the past few decades. I mean, when I was little I watched the classic Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera productions (like scooby doo, the Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Top Cat, the Jetsons, etc). And if I was going to watch something really cool, like "real" animation, I would watch Postman Pat or Wallace and Gromit. One of my all time favorites was the Thunderbirds, I had a Thunderbirds toothbrush and everything. Now for those of you who don't know, Thunderbirds was far from high-tech; made in the 1960, the series follows a bunch of puppets hung by strings, strings that were quite visible even on TV but I didn't care, I just enjoyed the stories.

Today some of the shows kids watch are truly high-tech. Take studios like Pixar, for example, they have taken everything to the next level. I certainly love pixar and their movies, but to be honest I do sometimes miss the old Disney movies where not everything was digital and things looked more like cartoons. And I must admit that I am not really a fan of 3D movies. I know, it's shocking that anyone could dislike 3D movies, I'm not saying I don't like them necessarily, it's just that I would be very happy to settle for a 2D movie instead, even if that does mean missing out on the coveted 3D glasses.

 I wonder what's next for the world of children's television, I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the not too distant future kids can virtually join their favorite TV heroes for some adventures by wearing a special head-piece or something like that. I'll just have to see what kinds of things technology will have come up with when I start having kids of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment