Wednesday 15 June 2011

Nipped 'n Tucked

In my life I have been fortunate enough to have only made three visits to the hospital for my own sake. I wasn't even born in one! Two of the three times I went in were to get my wisdom teeth removed, they took out one each time and I was wide awake whilst they did so. The third time I went to the hospital I was about fourteen years old and it was for plastic surgery. Yes, I admit that I have had plastic surgery. Now before you think too long and hard about it let me assure you, I haven't had anything sucked out of me, I haven't been injected with anything and certainly nothing has been made any bigger. I had what is known as a blepharoplasty.

So what is a blepharoplasty? It is a surgery that is usually preformed on older women who want to look more rested and alert. Basically it is an operation during which they remove part of the skin on your eyelids so that your eyes appear wider and more awake. However when I had it done I only had it done on my left eye, now why on earth would I do such a thing? Well, I was born with a congenital birthmark on my left eyelid, and it never bothered me at all nor did it affect my vision at all, but with all congenital birthmarks there is a risk that they will develop into a malanoma, which is a form of skin cancer. Long story short, together with my parents, I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry and just have it removed.

The surgery went fine and I was in and out in no more than two hours. Now since I myself have had plastic surgery I can't be entirely opposed to it, and I am certainly not opposed to all plastic surgery. In many cases plastic surgery is a true blessing to people, burn victims to name just one instance where plastic surgery is verging on miraculous. However I do not agree with the plastic surgery people have to "enhance" themselves. Don't get me wrong, I can get my head around the people who are sick and tired of being stared at or who have never been happy in their own skin. What really confuses me are the men and women who look perfectly fine already and then go and change themselves. The people who become addicted to having plastic surgery and come out looking like scary Barbie dolls. I mean, is it really necessary?

God has made you perfect and loves you just as you are. Plus, outer beauty isn't really what counts anyway, nobody will care how great you look if you are a horrible person. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says the following: "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight" (NIV). So be encouraged that true beauty comes from the inside and it will always shine through. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment