Friday 26 August 2011

Welcome to the family

First off, let me apologize for my hiatus. I was pretty busy the past few weeks so I haven't had the time to blog, but I'm back now. Happy times.

I went to a family reunion down at Mt. Rainier a couple weeks ago. It was super fun and great to be able to spend time with them, especially because I hadn't seen most of my dad's side of the family in years. That may seem crazy to some of you, but for me that's quite common. You see, growing up in Amsterdam, we didn't often have the funds to fly across the Atlantic to visit family. I've only seen them every so many years. And yet, there's a connection. You jump right back in, there's a familiarity to it. I like that.

This past week was my sister's wedding. She looked gorgeous on the day, had a beautiful ceremony and at the end of the day I had an incredible new brother-in-law. The day started with his family and her family, and by the end of the day it was one big happy family. There's no familiarity yet, but over the years, at the family gatherings, it will happen.

My eldest sister is pregnant with what will be my first niece or nephew, and I could not be happier. Although I realize that she lives in Amsterdam and so her baby will probably see me about as often as I saw my aunts and uncles growing up. But that's okay. We're family, and no matter what, that kid is going to be loved by each and every one of us. There's no doubt about that.

Sometimes it's hard for me to think about those who don't have a complete family unit, or who have no family at all. I pray for those people that they would find a way to their Heavenly Father and join the big family, the many brothers and sisters in Christ. Because although you may not know them, or see them often, you are always welcome, you can always jump back in and find the familiarity, and you will always find love.

No comments:

Post a Comment